Saturday, February 13, 2010

Angioplasty on that Rock 'n' Roll Heart

We get it, Clapton, you're cooler than we are.

Yes, yes, you've got a million cool guitars.

And even when you stole the wife of a Beatle, he still remained your best friend (and was best man when you married the woman you stole from him).

And you've got a better phone than I do.

And you can even play guitar over the phone.

And Buddy Guy calls you when you're just hanging out (watching video of yourself on your cool phone).

But I gotta ask you two things: Does this damn commercial have to be on TV every five minutes?

And, more importantly, weren't you the guy who quit the Yardbirds because you thought this song was too commercial and you didn't want anyone to think you'd sold out?


Just sayin'.

2 comments:

Holly A Hughes said...

You crack me up. Seriously. I was thinkin' JUST THIS SAME STUFF the last time this ad came on, for the million and twenty-third time...

I have to say, though, until I saw the little screen ID that said Clapton, I wasn't that this grizzled portly dude was in fact God.

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

Needs a triple-bypass.

I've loved Eric through the decades but I remember the first time he surely lost me and annoyed me: Wonderful Tonight. I KNOW he wrote it for Patti and I KNOW it's "a tender love ballad" and I KNOW he wrote it really fast while she was getting dressed, but I found it even on very first listen really shallow and really pretentious.

"I go to a par-teeee": yeah, coolio Eric, you go to a party. Any of us little people invited? How does it feel to be one of the beautiful people?

Compare that to For Your Love and -- cardiology! Stat!