Tuesday, February 8, 2011

So Much Juice You Make the Telephone Ring...

You're A Beacon of Light When the Sun Goes Down

Late at night.

Sitting in a porch in a city I didn't particularly like.

Drinking bad beer with a guy I worked with.

He was lamenting the way the girl he was dating treated him. How she kept him waiting for hours, had no consideration for him, and generally treated him like shit.

"Sounds like you should dump her," I suggested helpfully.

"Nah," he said. "She's got this light in her eyes keeps me coming back."

So we sat there in silence for a bit. And we drank bad beer.

And listened to the radio. And, for some reason I still don't understand, this song came on:


"I need some of that," I said. "I need to meet a woman who's so electric she literally makes the telephone ring. Someone who lights up the universe just be being alive."

And my work buddy stared at me. And took a long drink.

"You do realize that the song is supposed to be sarcastic, don't you?"

And I thought "Oh, fuck. Really?" But all I said was "Of course. I'm not an idiot."

And my work buddy grinned. And I grinned back. And we both started laughing, because we've all been that idiot.

No comments: