Thursday, April 28, 2011

Royal Wedding

We Mean It, Maaaaaaaaaaaaan

An otherwise reasonably sane friend called me up and announced she was going to stay up all night watching the Royal Wedding.

"I was a tomboy," she explained. "I never went through the princess phase."

"And now you have to make up for it at 2 in the morning?"

She shrugged. "It's not something I really understand. It's just something I want to do."



"But you're not English," I said. "You're not even Canadian."

"No. But I've been to London. Once."



"But we're American. We don't believe in royalty. We rejected that hundreds of years ago."

"Sure," she said. "But I can still dream."

"Not if you're awake at 2 in the morning."

And she smiled. Indulgently. "It's not a guy thing. You wouldn't understand."

So that's why she'll be at home overnight hosting a party of 11 women (most of whom are reasonably sane), watching an absurd event half a world away... while I'm dreaming of rock 'n' roll.

No comments: