Friday, January 13, 2012

Now Just Shut Up and Keep Your Hands on the Wheel

Walkin' Down A White Sandy Beach Somewhere, Eatin' Something...

"Listen," I said.

And she shook her head. "I'm not going to listen."

So we fell silent. For another 20 miles.

Then I tried again. "We can talk about it if you want."

She shook her head.

We'd been in the car for 10 hours. I'd driven her to see a long-lost relative. Then waited outside for 20 minutes.

When she came back out all she said was "home."

Hours later, we stopped for gas. I stretched my legs. She bought a Coke.

I knew better by then. I didn't ask.

But I shot her a look. And she knew what it meant.

So she took a sip of her Coke. Looked me in the eyes. And said again "Home."

Then she turned and walked back to the car.

"Home," I repeated.

Sometimes that's all you need to say.

2 comments:

Steven said...

Great song by Stan, thanks for posting. Love his stuff.

Steven
www.stevenology.com

Who Am Us Anyway? said...

He thought he saw the both of them on some kind of tropical island someplace - walking down a white sandy beach -- eating something ...