Monday, November 26, 2012

All My Life

I've been walking in the rain just to get wet on purpose

She wanted to spend time with him.

I don't know what he wanted. If he didn't want to spend time with her then he was an idiot. But I don't know.

She didn't go out drinking. She thought that was stupid.

She didn't smoke pot with the others. She'd tried it and didn't like it.

She wanted to spend time with him.

And he was not there. This was before cell phones. Before texting. Before email took off.

So there were long pauses. And long unpauses.

But mostly long pauses.

I know this. She told me.

She wanted to be with him. And he wasn't there.

And she smiled wistfully as she told me. And I answered. Truthfully. Before I could stop myself.

"Then he's an idiot."

And she nodded. Not because he was an idiot. But because she was sure.

She'd wanted to be with him. And he wasn't there.

2 comments:

Tara said...

This can't end well.

Can it?

Alex said...

No, it can't.