Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Stop-Action Pizza

Stop-Action Pizza

I came too late to the Hellacopters party (they recently broke up after a series of farewell shows in their native Sweden), but what's not to like about a band that called their debut album Supershitty to the Max?

Most Hellacopters songs are too metal for me, but I have a soft spot in my heart for "I’m in the Band" (which I promise will be a hit in 1972 for the Faces -- just as soon as I work the kinks out of my time machine). When it comes to Claymation videos where music is played by and for pizza toppings, you can't beat this ditty from the Hellacopters' 2005 Rock ‘n’ Roll is Dead album). (Link for Gmail subscribers.)


Perfect Bonus

Lou Reed was always destined to be Lou Reed. He didn't really have a choice. But John Cale… he could've been anything. A serious composer. Or a classical musician. Or the best producer in rock 'n' roll. Or the original punk. (And arguably, he was all those things at some point in the past 40 years.)

Which makes it hard to remember that John Cale also occasionally writes a perfect pop song, like this one from 2005's Black Acetate (again with 2005!), which is... um... Perfect. Sure, he's older, and yeah, the center cannot hold, but who cares if everything decays when you've got a perfect pop song? (Link for Gmail subscribers)

Extra (Perfect) Bonus: Will Rigby of the dBs writing about John Cale.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hard to believe the same guy sang Perfect & Heartbreak Hotel!