Friday, November 12, 2010

Hey Mother Earth!

I'd rather be back on the pad...

I watched the movie Who Is Harry Nilsson (And Why is Everybody Talkin' About Him) the other day.

Great movie. Ultimately a sad story.

In the movie, Richard Perry talks about how amazed he was by Nilsson's talents as a singer and songwriter. And how Nilsson became more interested in partying and making sessions into a joke.

Until what should have been a decades-long career of a superstar, instead flamed out after a few short years.

And yeah, there would be a few flashes of brilliance in even Nilsson's worst albums. But the last half of his professional life is noted for his devotion to epic drink-and-drug-fueled adventures instead of creating music.

Sad to think what might have been. What should have been.


1 comment:

David S. said...

I just saw that movie too. (Seems like I waited about 5 years for it?!) America's (one man) answer to the Beatles. His earlier work is simply astounding, some of which can still make me cry. At least we have those recordings still. My favorite song is Think About Your Troubles, which never fails to cheer me up.