Sunday, June 12, 2016

I'll say it again...

I wrote this earlier today on Facebook, but I'll share it here too.

I'm sickened by what happened overnight in Orlando. I'm sickened by people who don't care because it was a gay nightclub. I'm sickened by people who delight in the fact that the shooter was Muslim and (apparently) affiliated with Islamic extremist groups. I'm sickened by the rush to brand this as terrorism by the same people who refuse to label as terrorism similar shootings by White Christians. I'm sickened by the continuing efforts of the NRA to block any attempts to limit access to weaponry designed to kill people quickly and to stop law enforcement from limiting access to weapons for people they've already flagged as potential terrorists. I'm sickened by the fact that so many otherwise rational Americans have been convinced that frequent mass shootings with ever larger death tolls are better than any limits on anyone to own any type of weapon. And I'm sickened that my friends who are giving their hearts and souls to making the world a better and safer place have to face news like this (which in many cases echoes their own deep personal traumatic histories) so frequently.

No comments: