Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Soap Star, Fake Mime, and the Herky-Jerky Guy

You tell me

There were a lot of reasons to love the song "Jessie's Girl" by Rick Springfield.

He was cute.
He was a soap opera star.
The album it came from (Working Class Dog) featured a photo of a dog in a shirt and tie with a photo of Rick Springfield in the breast pocket.
It's pretty damn catchy.

But for me and all my friends, there was one overwhelming factor that made us love this song: the line "I wanna tell her that I love her but the point is probably moot." (Link for Gmail subscribers.)


And then there's They Might Be Giants, a band made for late-night college-hallway arguments about the meanings of their songs. But in the internet era those arguments would have to include the question does this version of "Birdhouse in Your Soul" make more or less sense than the original?


You tell me.

No comments: